"Beauty confronts us with the requirement that we place ourselves among...the redeemers, the leaders in the protection of life. Once you have seen the bush on fire, you are not going to get out of the assignment unless you close your eyes to the beauty.... [You] either have to close your eyes or go back to Egypt and set the people free." - Rev. Dr. Rebecca Parker, "Rising to the Challenge of Our Times"

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

conquering trailer phobia

I'm feeling so much better -- except for that I was awake between 3 and 5:30 a.m. last night, and thinking about cheese didn't really help. Not the miracle solution I had hoped for.

We finished that movie and the trailer housing thing didn't cause any more palpitations. Instead I was able to focus on what the story was actually about. The main character chooses not to tell anyone she is dying yet makes tapes for everyone to listen to after she's gone, instructing them on how she wants them to feel. Celia and I agreed that we were not comfortable with that approach. Though it seemed to give her freedom in some ways I pointed out that Mr. Rogers has addressed the subject of disclosure in his song, "I Like to Be Told." Enough said.

I swam a few laps this morning--and experienced something that might almost be rhythm. Not a rhythm I could completely fall into and maintain for more than about two minutes, but I think I could be making progress. I haven't been swimming since I last mentioned it a month ago, but maybe that has actually helped me since I haven't been practicing my bad form all that time.

No comments: