"Beauty confronts us with the requirement that we place ourselves among...the redeemers, the leaders in the protection of life. Once you have seen the bush on fire, you are not going to get out of the assignment unless you close your eyes to the beauty.... [You] either have to close your eyes or go back to Egypt and set the people free." - Rev. Dr. Rebecca Parker, "Rising to the Challenge of Our Times"

Saturday, February 28, 2009

To Market


It's been awhile since I went to the Saturday farmer's market here in Chico. I'd forgotten what a cool place it is, especially heading into Spring. I was overwhelmed by all the flowers and winter / spring greens, and the plant starts for gardens, and people, talking, buying, selling, playing music -- a young woman (these days when I say that, it means somebody who I'm probably actually thinking of as a 'girl,' i.e. under 30, whether I'm supposed to or not) played her guitar and had a notebook paper sign on her open guitar case that said "ORIGINAL SONGS." I was full of admiration and a bit of envy, whether I liked her songs or not she'd written them, and that's something...how many times have I talked about doing exactly what she was doing but never done it, and to have all her own original songs, too. Girls these days.

It didn't occur to me to take a photo while I was there. Too bad. I found a robust looking potted rosemary plant, though, for Heather's garden. She's been looking for one for awhile. I hadn't set out looking for one, but after I found it, I looked all over the rest of the market, and it was the only rosemary.

3 comments:

Alice said...

Yea for growing things. I think I'm going to branch out and try growing some herbs this year. I really want a bay plant/tree.

I did prune the fruit trees this morning, which was fun.

Once I played a song I wrote (and sang) at a open-mic night sort of thing in college. It was scary and exhilarating. I think I have four or five original songs, but they're pretty cheesy. I can't write music anymore since I lack the angst I had in college. :)

Bellabell said...

One of the most interesting books I've read in a long time is Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. Kingsolver, her husband and two daughters moved from Tucson to West Virginia, and became locavores, living for a full year on food that was grown locally. I think the exception was coffee and maybe one or two other items. They raised their own veggies and chickens. ("We learned not to name the chickens.") They ate only locally grown beef, drank local milk, etc. And they discuss what each month's crops are in their area, complete with recipes. Quite a commitment, and they kept to it.
Wow.

wordsfromhome said...

I loved Kinsolver's book also. It left me a bit conflicted however. With only 2 of us at home now there would be only two allowed exceptions to the rules. And I have a hard time finding time to keep up with 2 grow boxes. If I could only trade my corporate life for 10 acres in a fertile and well watered farm.