"Beauty confronts us with the requirement that we place ourselves among...the redeemers, the leaders in the protection of life. Once you have seen the bush on fire, you are not going to get out of the assignment unless you close your eyes to the beauty.... [You] either have to close your eyes or go back to Egypt and set the people free." - Rev. Dr. Rebecca Parker, "Rising to the Challenge of Our Times"

Thursday, February 11, 2010

what's going on?

A lot. I moved, partially. I said goodbye to some wonderful coworkers & friends at LSNC, who sent me off with lots of warm wishes and cake, and started a new job with the State of California. And what a State it is. I learned that my visit to an ailing friend at Christmastime was the last time I would get to see her, at least in this go 'round, but I had the honor of taking her song requests first.

I have a dog at my feet and a cat nibbling his kibble, and tomorrow is Furlough Friday, and I have a long interesting to-do list that includes tax return preparation and a long-awaited fundraising appeal for this year's NorCal AIDS Challenge - which is going to be a record-breaking milestone event for lots of reasons, not least of which my PARENTS are coming! My dad is riding his BIKE for 300 MILES! He's 62 going on 40 though so it's okay. My mom is going to be my right-hand co-pilot in the crew truck I'll be driving. I'm thrilled they are coming and Team Fisher is going to kick butt, especially if you, dear reader, sponsor us. My parents are already way ahead on their fundraising though, so go ahead and just donate to my page, right here. :) It all supports Sacramento / North Valley HIV/AIDS services. In my last two years participating in this event my eyes have really been opened to crucial these community services are - lives are getting turned around for the better - hence my desire to drive a truck around the valley from 5 am to about 5 pm for three days in May (day four is a little shorter, thankfully).

2 comments:

George said...

Wish I were going on 40... It is exciting to be involved, raising money, shedding pounds, lowering BP and upgrading two bicycles, as well as trying to improve my times on the road.

Thanks for the gentle encouragement these past years. Looking forward to the adventure!

wordsfromhome said...

And drafting behind George I am benefiting by his efforts. Even though I could not possibly keep up on my tricycle, I am working out and getting in shape for climbing in and out of the truck all day. For 4 days.