"Beauty confronts us with the requirement that we place ourselves among...the redeemers, the leaders in the protection of life. Once you have seen the bush on fire, you are not going to get out of the assignment unless you close your eyes to the beauty.... [You] either have to close your eyes or go back to Egypt and set the people free." - Rev. Dr. Rebecca Parker, "Rising to the Challenge of Our Times"

Friday, June 11, 2010

Hello? Still there?

It's been awhile. I have so many good things to report, so many thank you notes to write, so many NorCal AIDS Challenge registration sites to prepare for 2011 - well, only one, actually, but still. Rather than back up and try to cover everything I think I ought just to start with the lately in hopes of sometime winding my way back to the early.

So here's to lately. Getting my Chico condo ready to put on the market. Wish I'd taken a truly 'BEFORE' before photo, before the dark brown cabinets were painted in contemporary "Delta Sandbar" and the ailing split-pea soup-green countertops were pried up (and the chipped porcelain sink unhooked). I didn't think that far ahead though...in fact I'd changed my mind about three times in one day about what to do with the countertops. Did I dare try taking them apart? Using a power saw? Messing with plumbing? And what to do about the top of the backsplash (where there used to be a custom-shaped sort of narrow laminate bar top in the same baby poop color as the rest of the countertops)?

I've made so many trips to Lowe's in the last few weeks that I know my way around the store better than some of the employees. Good to have a Memorial Day weekend is a great time to buy stuff too, and Black and Decker jigsaws were on sale, so I was all set. I remembered the adage "Measure twice, cut once" but it sounds a lot easier than it was. Jigsaws are for cutting curvy lines. Maybe next Memorial Day I'll go back for a circular saw. Still, I don't think I made glaring mistakes that would still be visible when it was all done. I was encouraged by how it sure enough looked like a countertop and a sink when I fit the pieces together.

Many hours and a few more Lowe's trips later...tile all set...plumbing / disposal / dishwasher works...there's still one slow leak in the cold water connection under the sink, but I'm hopeful that it will respond to additional muttering, tinkering, and plumber's putty, before I have to give up and call a real plumber. A few finishing touches and my first major DIY home improvement project will be done, thanks to the painting help from my awesome housemate Amanda.  Next on the list: the bathroom. It was done in the same exciting 1970s color scheme so I can provide photo evidence of why these upgrades will hopefully result in increased marketability in 2010.

2 comments:

adamf said...

Um, why was this not on HGTV? Awesome!

wordsfromhome said...

If you could have gotten on to some cable home improvement channel, they might have paid you to do it!
Maybe you should write an article and send it to DIY.