"Beauty confronts us with the requirement that we place ourselves among...the redeemers, the leaders in the protection of life. Once you have seen the bush on fire, you are not going to get out of the assignment unless you close your eyes to the beauty.... [You] either have to close your eyes or go back to Egypt and set the people free." - Rev. Dr. Rebecca Parker, "Rising to the Challenge of Our Times"

Friday, September 23, 2005

To train, to sleep; to climb

Last few mornings (say, 3) the force of gravity has been especially strong (though alternative theories exist. I still managed to get up Wednesday for an 850-yd swim workout, and Thursday I went for a mellow 30-minute jog in the park and did some extra stretching. As for today, Friday, I went with the extra hour of sleep option. Had some trouble falling asleep last night and I am driving to Westport (4 hrs or so) after work today, so the battle to justify staying in bed was easily won. Sometimes it's better to work with gravity rather than agin' it.

Bringing an assortment of workout accoutrements to Westport with me. Definitely want to ride my bike; maybe from Fort Bragg to Mendocino and back (18-20 miles)? or the usual, north from where Branscomb Rd meets Hwy 1 to as far up the hill as I can make it. In the first two attempts over this past summer, I had to stop with an apparently endless supply of hill still available. We've talked about sometime touring up the coast on our bikes and it's hard to imagine riding any of that particular hill with loaded panniers. Maybe we should ride north to south instead. It's the place where Hwy 1 turns inland toward Leggett. No doubt there are other hills en route between San Francisco and Crescent City of which I am still comfortably ignorant. Deep in my heart, though, I love hills. Having lived in flatter parts of California for the last several years it's fun to find a hill that's not a freeway overpass. Fortunatlely Chico's proximity to the mountains offers some good ups and downs. Plenty of hill rides I've not yet done.

I'm also bringing my swimming wetsuit. Not sure when / if I will be able to do an ocean swim this weekend; maybe Portuguese Beach in Mendocino would be good since it's calm, or Van Damme SP.

Better use the remaining time this morning to pack, so as not to keep the parents up too far past their bedtime waiting for me at the house tonight.

No comments: