"Beauty confronts us with the requirement that we place ourselves among...the redeemers, the leaders in the protection of life. Once you have seen the bush on fire, you are not going to get out of the assignment unless you close your eyes to the beauty.... [You] either have to close your eyes or go back to Egypt and set the people free." - Rev. Dr. Rebecca Parker, "Rising to the Challenge of Our Times"

Thursday, March 09, 2006

dawn of the tri season

Haven't quite got up the guts to register for this event yet but I'm planning to do another triathlon on May 13. The "City of Gold" in Oroville. "City of Gold" rhymes with "Lake Swim is Cold" (about 62 degrees). I will have to practice swimming in my wetsuit. While I'm at it, need to practice swimming. I need a training schedule. The women's tri club has started up again but there are two obstacles to participating with them (well, two I will mention): they usually work out in the evening, and they want $140 or something like that for the privilege of contributing to my insomnia and robbing me of my domestic prime time. Celia and I have many, many episodes of our favorite TV shows from Netflix that we are trying to watch. Also, Tuesday and Wednesday nights I have dinner-cooking duties. Every other Monday night is a Chico Natural Foods Co-op Board meeting. I am VP this year. The Co-op doesn't currently offer wild poultry products, though I'd argue that it doesn't get more "natural" than quail.

Anyway, I'm not making excuses for why I can't train for the City of Gold, only for why I can't join the training group. I will have to make my own schedule.

No comments: