"Beauty confronts us with the requirement that we place ourselves among...the redeemers, the leaders in the protection of life. Once you have seen the bush on fire, you are not going to get out of the assignment unless you close your eyes to the beauty.... [You] either have to close your eyes or go back to Egypt and set the people free." - Rev. Dr. Rebecca Parker, "Rising to the Challenge of Our Times"

Monday, March 27, 2006

something to look forward to

Attempted a ride to the little community of Forest Ranch (I don't think it quite amounts to a "town") about 14 miles east of Chico yesterday. 14 miles east and about 2000 feet up. I didn't understand that it was 15 miles away when I started though and just after reaching Crown Point Road I decided to turn around. Someone had told me it was easier to ride to Forest Ranch than to Paradise. Maybe that's true since I never felt like I had to stand up in the saddle in order to keep pedalling forward. The grade was less severe but the place is farther away. Here is where I got: Driving Directions from Chico to Crown Point Rd & State Hwy 32.
It took me about 1.5 hours to get there and half an hour to get home again. Next time I'll know that just a bit further up the road is...I don't know. Maybe they have a small gift shop or a phone booth there or something.

No comments: