"Beauty confronts us with the requirement that we place ourselves among...the redeemers, the leaders in the protection of life. Once you have seen the bush on fire, you are not going to get out of the assignment unless you close your eyes to the beauty.... [You] either have to close your eyes or go back to Egypt and set the people free." - Rev. Dr. Rebecca Parker, "Rising to the Challenge of Our Times"

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

sisters of the presentation


On Sunday morning I'm off to the Presentation Center in the Santa Cruz mountains for an intensive week of trial skills training. Since starting work at Legal Services I've been to a couple trainings / retreats there. I'm feeling way behind at work and anxious about being gone for eight days, like the mass on my desk might go critical while I'm gone.

On the other hand, I think the Sisters might have fixed the swimming pool since the last time I was there, and the end result of this training will likely be that I'm freshly pumped up about the whole idea of being a lawyer. We will have a mock jury trial at the end of the week. I didn't do moot court or trial advocacy in law school so this will be really good for me and some of my feelings of fear and reluctance about doing some of the things lawyers traditionally do.

No comments: