"Beauty confronts us with the requirement that we place ourselves among...the redeemers, the leaders in the protection of life. Once you have seen the bush on fire, you are not going to get out of the assignment unless you close your eyes to the beauty.... [You] either have to close your eyes or go back to Egypt and set the people free." - Rev. Dr. Rebecca Parker, "Rising to the Challenge of Our Times"

Friday, July 14, 2006

wheel in the sky keeps on turnin'


A big box arrived today containing wheels and tires I ordered for the new bike. 34-spoke Rhyno Lite / Deore, dubbed the "Brutal Beast" by the folks at Harris Cyclery and reportedly resilliant against small arms fire (I probably won't try to test that claim, hopefully no one else will either). Perfect. The rubber is Conti TravelContact. Should be just the thing for when I suddenly run out of pavement. The inventory of parts to date is the frame & fork, wheelset, tires, rear cassette (9 spd 11-34), and silver Cane Creek S3 headset. Tubes, a headlight and a couple rolls of handlebar tape I've had on hand awhile. Coming soon are the Sugino crank & triple chainrings (24/36/48, or something like that), a Soma threadless stem, and an IRD bottom bracket.

Still need: chain, derailleurs (front & back), bar-end shifters, handlebars (drops), brakes & brake levers, pedals--I'm thinking of a nice big flat touring pedal with Power Grips instead of SPDs or other clipless...I find my feet get really uncomfortable on the roadbike after 2 or three hours of being trapped in the same position, in bike shoes. This bike aims to be an equal shoe opportunity bike. Waterbottle cages. A low-end bike computer to tell me how far I've gone, maybe an inclinometer to tell me the % grade of the climb or descent. Fenders--the fat SKS ones. A Yosemite Sam "BackOff" mudflap (if you see one of these, please tell me, otherwise I'll have to make it myself). Long pump because I have a peg for it on my frame. A seatpost, a saddle. Debating on whether to try a Brooks or just stick with the saddle I know and love on my roadbike. A handlebar bag with a mapcase. Eventually a rear rack that is more touring-sturdy, though the current Topeak rack I've had on my road bike hath borne heavy loads upon its slender shoulders. I brought all my Barbri Bar Exam review books home on it one day in the Spring of '04...a good 40 lbs at least.

No comments: