"Beauty confronts us with the requirement that we place ourselves among...the redeemers, the leaders in the protection of life. Once you have seen the bush on fire, you are not going to get out of the assignment unless you close your eyes to the beauty.... [You] either have to close your eyes or go back to Egypt and set the people free." - Rev. Dr. Rebecca Parker, "Rising to the Challenge of Our Times"

Friday, October 27, 2006

meow?


I dreamed last night that one of the cats (Amonke) had apparently learned a couple words in English. At first I was just impressed at how smart she was, that she was picking up some vocabulary, and that she kept repeating the two words in her very strange furry (but not necessarily catty) voice, and I didn't really think about what she was saying. She was walking around in circles as a cat might likely do, repeating the words "working," and "tired." Tired, tired. Working. tired.

Huh. Silly dream, talking animals! Whatever! If the cat ever hopes to be taken seriously she'll need to learn some pronouns, some verb conjugations...maybe a preposition or two would be helpful.

Coincidentally my boss expressed some concern today that I seem to "have a lot on my desk." I'm not sure if she meant it literally (she could have, though). I didn't feel that it was a criticism so much as a tentative extension of one of those long aluminum poles used for fishing people out of the swimming pool who don't appear to be treading water with complete success. Nevertheless, this week I filed my first civil harassment restraining order & request for ex parte orders, (which were partly granted pending a hearing in a week), attended a corporate fundraiser for LSNC in Sacramento, completed an IRS Form 1023 Application for Tax Exemption on behalf of a local Hmong organization, made it through a co-op board meeting (I would have considered skipping it in favor of staying a few more hours in Utah except that right now I'm the board VP and the Secretary so I was worried that my absence would be felt a little too keenly). Among other things.

Maybe the dream kitty was just trying to save her breath by not using more parts of speech than required to make the point. Which is actually fairly true to character for the real Amonke; she doesn't really vocalize unless she wants to draw your immediate attention to her current need.

No comments: