"Beauty confronts us with the requirement that we place ourselves among...the redeemers, the leaders in the protection of life. Once you have seen the bush on fire, you are not going to get out of the assignment unless you close your eyes to the beauty.... [You] either have to close your eyes or go back to Egypt and set the people free." - Rev. Dr. Rebecca Parker, "Rising to the Challenge of Our Times"

Monday, October 16, 2006

mile repeat redux

Ran mile repeats at the track again yesterday and I feel like I'm making some progress, though I packed it in after 5 miles with a recovery lap and some stretching between each repeat. I am pleased to report in at 7:36, 7:42, 7:57, 10:00 (a much needed rest mile), and 7:49. Based on these results it seems that I couldn't possibly have run 7-minute miles last week though. The course I ran last Monday must have been a little shorter than 3 miles.

My goal for the workout was to do 7 x 1 mile repeats but I'm just not there yet. Maybe I should try alternating hard and easier miles.

I was also pleased that the ol' I.T. band didn't seem too aggravated by this workout. On Saturday I ran 8 miles in the park and had to ice the side of my knee afterwards; when the IT band flares up the outside of my knee develops this temporary bulge at the connecting point of the tendon to the knee (that can't be right!). Yesterday there was no bulging.

No comments: