"Beauty confronts us with the requirement that we place ourselves among...the redeemers, the leaders in the protection of life. Once you have seen the bush on fire, you are not going to get out of the assignment unless you close your eyes to the beauty.... [You] either have to close your eyes or go back to Egypt and set the people free." - Rev. Dr. Rebecca Parker, "Rising to the Challenge of Our Times"

Monday, March 12, 2007

Greetings from the edge of Sherwood

¡Viva el Robin!

We put Errol Flynn on the queue to see if we could recognize any of our Bidwell Park backyard in the movie...some of the stream crossings and sycamores and oaks looked familiar, though things have probably changed a bit in seventy years.

I loved this movie when I was a kid, loved a book of Robin Hood stories I read in the sixth grade even more. I really dug the whole Robin Hood aesthetic (though now I seriously wonder what material they could possibly have made tights out of in the twelfth century). I would go out in the back yard and attack fenceposts with my quarterstaff. I wanted to be Robin Hood and fight for the rights of the oppressed, and have a feather in my hat.

Seems I have it all except for the feathered hat. Our cats would destroy it in no time anyway. Olivia de Havilland has nothing over the lovely Ce, she's as much my companion in adventure as my lady. Plus Ce's outfits are far more sensible attire for jogging through the forest.

It is good to realize this as one of the roots of my legal aid career. Tomorrow I shall attack the pile(s) on my desk with newfound zeal, if not for Richard and England then just for the sake of being a louder, buzzier bee in the bonnet of the status quo. Errol Flynn. Where is he when we need him? Was there really an America that once embraced the values of this Warner Bros. adventure? Of course the good guys all got rich in the end when their Lionheart Inc. stock went up, maybe that's the sticky part.

No comments: