"Beauty confronts us with the requirement that we place ourselves among...the redeemers, the leaders in the protection of life. Once you have seen the bush on fire, you are not going to get out of the assignment unless you close your eyes to the beauty.... [You] either have to close your eyes or go back to Egypt and set the people free." - Rev. Dr. Rebecca Parker, "Rising to the Challenge of Our Times"

Monday, April 09, 2007

Remarkable

Willing to accept this as a small miracle, or as really good luck, either way it was just great. I wrote a check for several hundred dollars today in payment of one of our condo-related debts and put it in an envelope with all the addresses but no stamp, because my stamps were in my desk drawer at work. I put the envelope in my spacious utilitarian pants pocket and got on my bike. I noted that the envelope was poking me in the stomach and thought, hmm, that's not really comfortable but at least I won't forget it's there. Rode to work, noting irritation of envelope. Then sometime after arriving at work I realized I was not irritated any more. I thought, maybe I took it out and put it in my bag after all. It wasn't there. I looked around the office and in my mailbox, wasn't there. I walked about a block up the street, wasn't there.

I wondered if someone would find it and try to return it, or if they would find it and try to wash my check. I wondered if I stopped the check and sent another one, and someone found it and decided to mail it for me, how complicated things would get at the bank it was headed for, and what level of awkwardness or inconvenience my be involved for myself and otheres.

I wondered these things for awhile and then C called and said she found something interesting on her walk to work. My kung-fu instructor used to say, by way of kung-fu proverb, "There is no money on the ground." He was wrong, in this case.

2 comments:

limes said...

Wow! What serendipity!

can't wait for your game on may 12! I'm ready to cheer aggressively.

Bellabell said...

"E. shot a missive into the air;
It fell to earth,
And C. was there."

There is a poetry in this event that is as complete and beautiful as a haiku. (Which, alas, I cannot write, but there is this poet-lawyereate . . . .)

Bellabell