"Beauty confronts us with the requirement that we place ourselves among...the redeemers, the leaders in the protection of life. Once you have seen the bush on fire, you are not going to get out of the assignment unless you close your eyes to the beauty.... [You] either have to close your eyes or go back to Egypt and set the people free." - Rev. Dr. Rebecca Parker, "Rising to the Challenge of Our Times"

Friday, April 17, 2009

Balmy weather


I've heard Target carries Bag Balm but it's way over on the other side of town. So far I've been to a Walgreens, two Safeways, a RiteAid, and an outdoor / bike shop, no luck. Turns out I probably should have just gone to the Feed & Seed store instead. I forgot that the product was named for what it was originally intended to do as opposed to its 'off-label' uses. I learned during the NCAC ride last year that it works ten times better for long hours in the saddle than any of those fancy creams they sell in bike shops and (if I could find some) costs about half as much. It is petroleum-based, though, and therefore probably doesn't decrease our dependence on foreign oil. If I were riding my bike 150 miles this weekend to go somewhere I actually needed to go, that would more than make up for a few dollops of petroleum jelly. But I'm not. Bright and early driving down to the Sutter Buttes in the morning to Bike Around them (the Buttes).

I'll be thinking of my sisters who have been training so hard for the Salt Lake City half marathon which is also tomorrow. I think Bag Balm probably works on feet too. It is a miraculous substance.

1 comment:

Alice said...

How did it go?

Whenever I see bag balm I think of my favorite girl from the summer program where I worked with the autistic kids. She used bag balm as chapstick.