"Beauty confronts us with the requirement that we place ourselves among...the redeemers, the leaders in the protection of life. Once you have seen the bush on fire, you are not going to get out of the assignment unless you close your eyes to the beauty.... [You] either have to close your eyes or go back to Egypt and set the people free." - Rev. Dr. Rebecca Parker, "Rising to the Challenge of Our Times"

Sunday, February 19, 2006

faster'n ye kin slap a tick

I can't speak for everyone but my reaction to ticks is not to slap them, and it's hard to believe that this would ever be considered the natural and appropriate response to ticks. I went for a short hike in the headlands north of Jenner today with two friends, and their two dogs who ambled happily through the coastal grasses. Riding back to Lisa's house in the back seat with the dogs I got to play Pick up Ticks. Meaning that I picked them up and threw them out the car window. I'm not sure if that is the currently most highly recommended method of tick disposal but it seemed impractical to try to incinerate them with my lighter inside the car.

I'm hoping that I haven't picked them up in other ways but I'll need to conduct further investigation and get back to you.

No comments: