"Beauty confronts us with the requirement that we place ourselves among...the redeemers, the leaders in the protection of life. Once you have seen the bush on fire, you are not going to get out of the assignment unless you close your eyes to the beauty.... [You] either have to close your eyes or go back to Egypt and set the people free." - Rev. Dr. Rebecca Parker, "Rising to the Challenge of Our Times"

Monday, February 27, 2006

to Paradise and back


I don't know the best way to capture my Saturday cycling experience other than to say that pride not only goeth before a fall, but it can also goeth before a steep, painful climb. I found this photo of Honey Run Road on the web. As you can see, it's pretty, and narrow. Sort of like trying to ride a bike up a 6-mile long spiral staircase. I am deeply humbled by the fact that people ride up this all the time without repeatedly collapsing into a pile of lactic acid goo en route. At least one of those people was kind enough to ask me if I was okay as he passed.

The other problem with riding up Honey Run Road is that the town of Paradise, to which this road eventually lifts the soul, is not, as its name might suggest, a city atop a hill, but rather a collection of second-hand shops built into the side of a mountain. Not much "there" there. Sorry, if you are from "there." I was just hoping for some enlightenment, or at least an obvious place to get a milkshake, or at very least a small plateau before I turned around.

The ride down was pretty good though. Maybe I'll do it again in a few weeks.

No comments: