"Beauty confronts us with the requirement that we place ourselves among...the redeemers, the leaders in the protection of life. Once you have seen the bush on fire, you are not going to get out of the assignment unless you close your eyes to the beauty.... [You] either have to close your eyes or go back to Egypt and set the people free." - Rev. Dr. Rebecca Parker, "Rising to the Challenge of Our Times"

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Farcical aquatic ceremonies


King Arthur; I am your king.
Woman: Well I didn't vote for you.
King Arthur: You don't vote for kings.
Woman: Well how'd you become king then?
[Angelic music plays... ]
King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. THAT is why I am your king.
Dennis: [interrupting] Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Speaking of aquatic ceremonies, I been thinkin' about this Lake Oroville thing next month. The pond down at Rancho Seco where I did the Luna Bar tri last summer was scary enough...the water all dark and green...and it was easily 72 - 75 degrees. Lake Oroville is, well, big, and predicted to be about 62. I've paddled around in the ocean with fins and a mask and snorkel and a float tube, but that seems very different. I have a farmer john-style wetsuit I'll wear for the swim but I haven't been able to practice with it. Hmm...just remembered that the pool in our complex is unheated...I could practice with it in there. The big creek pool in the park would be better but it's been a raging torrent for the past couple weeks. Jumping in would be a quick ride to the Sacramento River.

No comments: