"Beauty confronts us with the requirement that we place ourselves among...the redeemers, the leaders in the protection of life. Once you have seen the bush on fire, you are not going to get out of the assignment unless you close your eyes to the beauty.... [You] either have to close your eyes or go back to Egypt and set the people free." - Rev. Dr. Rebecca Parker, "Rising to the Challenge of Our Times"

Friday, August 26, 2005

The 5-minute rule

Read some triathlon training advice awhile back suggesting that when you don't feel like training, you tell yourself you're only going to go out for 5 minutes. Then by the time you've done something for 5 minutes, usually you feel like since you're already here, you might as well keep going.

This is a great idea unless 5 minutes is really all the time you have. The strategy would seem to defeat itself at that point. This morning, however, I had at least 20 minutes for my dip into the waters of Big Chico Creek. The combination of blog therapy and revised prayer / meditation helped and I fell asleep not long after my last post, but 6:30 was not doable this morning. I slept another hour and made it across the street to the pool by 7:50, swam about 4 lengths in 20 minutes, and climbed out feeling like I at least did something. Since lengths in the regular pool take me 30 - 35 seconds (25 yards), I'm guessing that Sycamore Pool is about 250 yards long? I'll have to try it again another time, since I felt slow and winded this morning. At least a third of the time I swam breaststroke.

On the other hand, all those little stops to turn around in the regular pool add up and it's tempting to pause an extra second or two at the wall to catch my breath, so maybe it all evens out. I don't know how to do flip turns and I am averse to being under water upside-down and backwards, unless I'm wearing a diving mask. Good thing I don't aspire to competing in a swimming pool.

Note on prior warning to cats: it was enforced against Kato at 5:00 a.m. I set out a water dish for him so he wouldn't be thirsty outside. At 7:30 when I got up, I opened the door and he immediately ran back in, meowing and muttering all the way. Maybe we'll adjust the penalty to being shut in the bathroom instead. I don't want it to be a mean punishment, I just want to get my #@$&*!@ sleep!

No comments: