"Beauty confronts us with the requirement that we place ourselves among...the redeemers, the leaders in the protection of life. Once you have seen the bush on fire, you are not going to get out of the assignment unless you close your eyes to the beauty.... [You] either have to close your eyes or go back to Egypt and set the people free." - Rev. Dr. Rebecca Parker, "Rising to the Challenge of Our Times"

Monday, August 29, 2005

do not read this while operating heavy machinery

Gee, and I was feeling so calm today. Went to bed around 10 but eventually started thinking about those clients again. They are in a bad situation and I'd love to be able to tell the whole story right here but I'm trying to stay on top of the whole professional ethics ballgame. Part of me wants to show up with my truck and help them move this week, and maybe there is nothing wrong with doing that, but one of my big challenges with this job is the emotional boundaries. They haven't asked me to help them move, but that caretaking impulse--sometimes, like the dark side of the force it is! The last thing I need is for word to leak out that that nice lady at legal aid has a pickup truck. Whatever you've heard--the rumors are not true. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Still, there might be a few other things I can do from the safety of my office while keeping my bouncing baby boundaries intact.

Heading to Oakland in the morning for a training on something or other. Tri-training is taking the day off tomorrow. I ran about 25 minutes this morning, shorter than planned due to the fact than when I woke up our water was shut off so I spent the first several minutes of intended running time looking for usable bathroom facilities in the park. Which led me, later in the day, to call the Parks Commission and complain. Seems the city's not getting its money's worth (if it's spending any) on porta-potty maintenance. I have now posted the Park Porta-Potty Crisis Hotline number next to our phone and plan to program it into my cellphone as well. If you have been shocked, disgusted, and disappointed in your hour of need in Bidwell Park, the number to call is (530) 896-7800.

RE: running, I'm still having my IT band problem despite the new running shoes. Weird sensation, not sharp pain like I've heard it described, but an uncomfortable tightness on the outside of my left knee. Though if I can remember right, it hurt pretty bad during the SF marathon in 1997. Doesn't tighten up until I stop running, which suggests an obvious solution! If I just keep running, I'll be fine, right? Good thing the run is at the end. Who cares about pain at the end of a race anyway. Nothing a bag of frozen peas and some ibuprofen can't fix right up. [note to shopping list: need more frozen peas]

No comments: