"Beauty confronts us with the requirement that we place ourselves among...the redeemers, the leaders in the protection of life. Once you have seen the bush on fire, you are not going to get out of the assignment unless you close your eyes to the beauty.... [You] either have to close your eyes or go back to Egypt and set the people free." - Rev. Dr. Rebecca Parker, "Rising to the Challenge of Our Times"

Sunday, August 28, 2005

the waiver has been electronically signed

Just registered for the Luna Bar Women's Triathlon , October 2 at Rancho Seco Park. I wonder if we'll be able to see the nuclear power plant from the staging area?

Ce & I rode our bikes this morning, about 21+ miles out in the almond orchards northwest of town. I'd like to take back anything cheeky I said about clipless pedals. They make me feel mighty real. Definitely less like a penguin on solid ground. The acceleration! The power! Okay, no atoms have been split, but they do make a difference for someone who likes to go fast more than she might let on. Especially when you stand up on the bike. All that precious energy once lost in the upstroke is now MINE. Ha ha ha ha ha!

During the ride I had some second thoughts about going swimming afterwards...wouldn't it be nice to go home and eat tater tots instead? Relax and feel satisfied with the exercise performed? Maybe I got a second wind though. I headed to the gym and alternated 100 - 200 yd stints with some kicking drills. I didn't count how many laps altogether but I think I was in the water about 35 minutes. Then I was very tired. I got home and we walked downtown for lunch at Tres Hombres. Barely dragging my feet along, I couldn't help but think, this is the part where I'm supposed to be running? Fortunately the triathlon was not today. Food helped though.

Running in the morning, just so my hamstrings don't feel left out of all the fun. Have to say the sensation of trying to run after you get off the bike is not pleasant and since I haven't been going to the group tri-training sessions it's hard to convince myself I want to practice it. But tomorrow is clearly not the time. I biked adequately today. Maybe I'll have another go at the Fast 40 on Wednesday.

Last note for the night--I feel strangely calm and content considering that tomorrow is Monday. The idea of going back to work doesn't inspire dread. Normally Sunday night is haunted by vague work anxiety but I usually feel better on Monday morning after geting some sleep. Now I'm a step ahead. I'll probably even fall asleep fast tonight. See, I TOLD you that clipless pedals would completely change my life.

No comments: