"Beauty confronts us with the requirement that we place ourselves among...the redeemers, the leaders in the protection of life. Once you have seen the bush on fire, you are not going to get out of the assignment unless you close your eyes to the beauty.... [You] either have to close your eyes or go back to Egypt and set the people free." - Rev. Dr. Rebecca Parker, "Rising to the Challenge of Our Times"

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A 12-mile radius

These women and their recumbent tricycles own the road. I was thinking today I'd like to adopt a 10-mile radius biking policy, now that I have my old rack installed on Karla...though anywhere in this town is probably less far away than that. Though if a 55 and 86-year-old have a 12-mile radius, maybe I should set mine at least at 20. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), 20 miles from here still isn't really anywhere that I would normally need to go. The next biggest town I need to visit a couple times a month for work purposes is about 23 - 24 miles away. By freeway. A little further by bike. Though I could ride the bus to that town if I'm not going there for a court appearance. (I did ride my bike to court here once, but I also probably could have walked.)

No comments: