"Beauty confronts us with the requirement that we place ourselves among...the redeemers, the leaders in the protection of life. Once you have seen the bush on fire, you are not going to get out of the assignment unless you close your eyes to the beauty.... [You] either have to close your eyes or go back to Egypt and set the people free." - Rev. Dr. Rebecca Parker, "Rising to the Challenge of Our Times"

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Mighty Mormon Muscle Mama!


This NY Times story and the video clip embedded in it was quite moving and provocative. I think of myself as a little busier than is really manageable sometimes, and I've had some aches and pains and an injury requiring surgery as a result of my athletic endeavors, and sometimes I wish the cat wouldn't meow so forcefully and so often for no reason I can determine (though having that little tiny screaming puppy for a few days gave me some perspective). But Melanie Roach...shown here training in her gym...holy cow. She is really driven. Talk about perseverance. And triceps. I hope she makes it to Beijing.

1 comment:

Bellabell said...

The marquee on the church down the street has invited us for a week now to "Hear Pastor Dan Preach on Maximum Motherhood." I have cringed at the thought. What might Pastor Dan's idea of "Maximum" motherhood be? Eighteen kids, as recently seen online? The 36-hour day? Raising one's own kids, then one's grandkids (because the grown kids can't find work)? What a happy surprise for his congregation were he to talk about "Mighty Mormon Muscle Mama"!
Thanks for posting this, Em.